Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Learning the Craft

I have some time off from work (thank goodness!)--so I want to write and knit. I haven't written in so long--but that doesn't mean I haven't been knitting. I just finished Kerri's Cable Sampler Scarf--and just need to wash and block it before sending it to her. I love cables--and I learned a lot about how different cables affect the knitting piece. I want to start my lace scarf for Sheryl, but I ran into trouble with reading the pattern and seeing what I was doing.

So . . . time to learn about the craft of knitting! I purchased Jennifer Seiffert's Fearless Knitting Workbook, and I love the way she teaches along with the the mini-projects for each lesson. Two areas that have already helped me:

1) Reading my knitting: I've been in the dark so to speak in regards to seeing what is happening with my knitting. I've just plowed ahead and when there were problems--I did the best to frog and redo the rows--not knowing at all what I was doing. I am not an accomplished "reader" yet--but I am making progress, and I'm not as fearful as I was before.

2) Charts: I have always been afraid of charts, preferring written instructions instead. All those symbols and what direction to follow! I have made a small breakthrough! I can now read a large chart and a smaller repeat chart. It is great!

Well--back to lesson #2!

No comments: