Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Cottage Throw--Take 1

Well, this week at my new knitting class, I started the Cottage Throw. The pattern is simple--but, of course, as a rookie I am having some difficulties. Most of the issues I am having is in regards to the fact that I am using three strands at once and am having issues with seeing exactly where to "make 1."

I am using size 17 circular needles (36") (Crystal Palace). Starting with a cast on of four stitches, I knit one row and then start the increasing pattern which consists of four rows: Row 1 (RS): Slip 1, yarn back, make 1, knit to last stitch, make 1, k1. Row 2 (WS): Slip 1, purl to end. Row 3 (RS): Same as Row 1. Row 4 (WS): Slip 1, yarn back, knit to end.

In addition to having problems finding the spot to "make 1"--I am also having trouble with the slip stitches being so loose. I know there will be a crocheted trim when I finish, but I don't like how it looks.

And now I have another problem--I have dropped a stitch back at least five rows. I don't know why I didn't see it at the time, but I will now rip out my work to that row and fix it. I know how to pick up a stitch one row back--but unfortunately, I didn't see it then.

I was hoping to use my stash yarns, but since they were oranges, yellows, and greens, this wasn't possible. The throw needs to reflect the beach--sand and water. I am throwing in some color to indicate the ice plant flowers that grow on the beaches of Cambria--but very limited.

Now to ripping out my work--ugh!

No comments: